Some Interesting Facts about Coffee
- Coffee is one the second actively traded product after oil, with around 20 million people working in the coffee industry.
- There are around 70 coffee producing countries around the world with Brazil being the largest, which produces around 28 percent of the total world output.
- Contrary to what some people believe, coffee does not grow as a bean but as a red cherry carrying two beans.
- There are over 60 different varieties of coffee but only two varieties are used for trading;
Arabica and Robusta.
- Caffeinated coffee has a beneficial effect on alertness and is known to boost performance.
- Black Coffee does not contain any calories,(as long as milk and sugar is not added).
- A good coffee tree can produce up to 1 kg of raw coffee per year but needs temperatures between 17º and 23º as well as good rainfall and good soil conditions.
- Coffee trees only grow in tropical and sub-tropical regions.
- When the coffee beans go through roasting process, the sugars in the beans start to caramelise.
- It takes 5 years for a coffee tree to reach maturity.
- The first coffee house opened in Venice in 1683.